We went to see the Smurfs Movie, but they didn't have any subtitle shows so I watched it in Korean. I understood maybe about 1/3 of the movie, partially because of the actions and partially because I had seen commercials, and sometimes I just understood what they were saying. Which being here makes me realize I understand a lot more Korean than I thought I did, but at the same time I don't understand very much at all. It's a little contradicting, I know..and very frustrating. But I have no doubt I will pick it up quickly.
Amy then took me on some personal errands (for me). She took me to Suwon Station and we went to get a phone for me. For some reason, they charge foreigners more for phones, so my phone is technically not mine. Kind of strange, I think. But the salesman was so nice, he didn't speak much English but said he wanted to learn. He was little embarrassed about his accent. At one point, he asked me where I was from, and I told him Miguk, which means U.S. in Korean...and it surprised him that I spoke Korean. So then I felt awesome, because I think he assumed I couldn't understand him because my cousin was translating the whole time, and for the most part, I couldn't understand him. I picked up a few key words here and there to connect sentences, but that was pretty much it. So I felt awesome for a few minutes while he thought I could understand him..then he asked me a question that I just could not comprehend...so my awesomeness flew out the window.
You don't realize how second nature it is to speak your own language until you have to speak another language. My first instinct is to respond in English and I have to stop and correct myself...often times I end up saying both English, then Korean. One day, it will get better!
Then we went to STARBUCKS. Home SWEET bliss.
Next I got to see my workplace and meet a few people, including 2 of my 3 bosses. It was a little uncomfortable, since none of my bosses speak English apparently. So I just said hello, and nice to meet you..and then we would stand awkwardly until my cousin would say something like, "ok, I'm going to show her around some more. Thank you for your time." I also am kind of embarrassed about my Korean because I think my pronunciation is wrong a lot of times and that I have a strange accent, so I tend to mumble through my words which makes it that much more unsuccessful.
She tried to get me set up with a bank account, but that didn't work out as we had hoped. I have to try again in a few weeks.
And I rode the bus! I also bought a bus pass...well, Amy bought it for me...but it's Hello Kitty.
It was exciting to see that the Korean phone bling actually has a purpose! Granted, I'm sure there are some that are purely decorative.
To end the day, I will be going to Incheon to pick up my mommy. I'm excited to see her, and for her to be here. Hopefully everything is going well with her flights and luggage!
Jet lag is some serious business.
No comments:
Post a Comment