Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Funny Funny Korean Men

Last night I had chicken and beer with my cousins and my cousin's ex-coworker (whose name I have no idea). And it went terribly wrong, but hilariously so. This guy, the ex-coworker didn't speak any English at all but kept trying to have conversation with me. And I am terrible at discerning whether I'm being hit on or not, but the translated version I would receive was stuff like "let's spend more time together" "let's hang out again" "Your cute" etc. However, my older cousin decided that was a bad idea and she was not a fan of that, so when he would ask me, she would answer for me and say something like "No, she doesn't like you." The guy was a little offended by that, but it was quite funny. At the end of the night, he tried to reach in for a hug and my cousin got so upset. And then tried to shake my hand "western style" and again, so upset. "No! Don't touch her. She doesn't like you!" hahaha I love that I've got my unni looking out for me. This guy though, when I first sat down and started eating, I had some trouble cutting my chicken. So he completely took my fork and tongs from me and starting cutting. Then he tried to feed me....awkward.

But, I think I probably will not have a Korean boyfriend here...ever. It's really hard to understand what these guys want. Western guys are a little easier to understand. I can tell when they want a relationship or when they just need some action. But these Korean guys, I think mainly because of the language barrier, it's very difficult to tell. And I think they've got all these ideas about western women from the media, and will expect western women to be a certain way. It's kind of like a fantasy. So I just don't think it would be a good idea for me. On top of that, Korean men (like Korean women) have a lot of expectations for their significant other, and I would fail to meet the majority of those expectations. Therefore...no thank you. Unnecessary drama.

My only friend here might be leaving. I'm not a fan of that...not at all. I have no idea how to even try to convince him to stay. At the same time though, I of course don't want him to be miserable and want him to make the right choices for his life. But I'd be very sad without him...especially so early in the game.

1 comment:

  1. I'm finding out that the chicken and beer combo is a big thing with Koreans...it's kinda odd and unexpected. There are tons of them around my apartment and in K-town!

    The language barrier will definitely make for an awkward courtship haha! But on top of that I'm sure their behavior alone will confuse you cause...culture clash! So weird that American women are the "fetish" over there. But, makes sense I suppose.

    Sorry about your friend leaving :( Is your mom still there?

    P.S. is your middle name Lauren? Just wondering...

    ReplyDelete