Ok so it's more like, "Oh the adventures I did have...TODAY."
To start..I was late for class, AGAIN. (To which I was told if I'm late again in October I won't get to work in November..so not fired, just suspended??) No buenooooo. I woke up at 6:32am, class is at 6:30. I grabbed the first shirt I could find and RAN out the door...looking like a crazy person. Got to class at about 6:43. And taught as normal. I was able to sneak by the front desk girls so when the girl brought my class complimentary coffee, she saw me teaching as if I had been there the whole time.
After class, I left quickly...trying not to be seen since I looked like a disaster. Ran all the way home only to realize once entering my apartment and looking in the mirror that my sweater was COMPLETELY 100% see through. My flowery cream colored bra and my extra large cleavage all blatantly out in the open for the world to see...in front of my business men students. Could I be any more disrespectful? First I'm late, then I show off the girls. BAHH not ok, friends, not ok at all!
Then I went to the bank to try and transfer money home...only to be disappointed by the exchange rate. I thought it would be about the same, but it's a lot less. Makes my life a little more difficult, but manageable I think. At least I don't have to pay rent! (unless I'm late again!). The guy was very nice and spoke English well, and helped me get the best rate possible so I opened a savings account as well!
THEN the fun really began. I went to the market because I wanted to make some soup. It's cheap and easy and since it's cold out it will go well, and a pot of soup is a great lunch that can easily last a few weeks! Sooo, I found all the ingredients I needed except for green onions...then I realized I have no idea how to say green onion in Korean. I whip out my handy dandy "hand phone" and look up the word..usually it gives a definition in Korean, but this time it literally said "Green onion: Spring Onion" all in English. So I tried to show it to a lady who was working in produce and she had no idea what it said. She then takes my phone and hands it to everyone in the store and the next thing I know...EVERYONE in the store (employees AND other customers) were gathered around my phone trying to figure it out until one young guy finally realizes what I mean...except they think I just want plain onions. So the original produce lady walks me over the onions..and I have to explain using hand motions not "circle" (in hand motions) but long (in hand motions) theeeen "ooooooooh!!!" And walks over and grabs a stalk of green onion.
Hilarious business the things I get myself into.
The soup it pretty ok though. It's not as flavorful as it could be...maybe it just needs more base. But it's filling, with it's potatoes, tofu, green peppers, and onions! Perfect lunch on a cold afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment